Monday 8 June 2015

Mid-Atlantic Musings from Leonard, a long time mariner

I could not have asked for a better skipper and crew to make my Atlantic crossing with. Even if I could and did, little good will it do out in the middle of the Atlantic with no one to answer my call. I signed on this trip with promises of DVD movies and popcorn every night, instead I got the most spectacular sunsets and sunrises along with the entire cast of celestial stars. Dolphins, whales  and the occasional turtle swam past us along with various seabirds which I'm yet to properly identify. I was hoping to see an albatross, those far reaching seabirds that are supposed to be the souls of long lost at sea sailors. I stood solitary watches at nights and drifted into conversation with Magellan, Sir Francis Drake, captain Cook and the like. Strangely never with Cristobal Columbus, someone I do not necessarily hold in high regard. I spoke with all my family and friends, including my parents, all who had past on from this life. Occasionally some of them spoke back to me.
The Skipper had prepared well for this epic voyage. Not only was he a Royal Navy Dartmouth graduate but he had spent his entire life sailing yachts with his dad and others. His wife was his first mate and just for the record his only mate on this trip. She punctuated the long days with delicious hot meals and on occasion freshly baked bread from her 'Force 10' stove mounted on gimbals. Nothing can beat the smell of coffee and bacon on mornings after a wet cold night on watch. Hot meals of meat and potatoes, chili and rice, baked turkey, roast pork loins, buffalo wings, Pedro's artisan sausages, stir fried rice etc punctuated our days.
Must admit that there were times especially with a 34F water temperature, 30' high waves, 30 knot winds, cold rain and seas that felt as if a bucket of cold water was being emptied over my head every 5 minutes for hours on end while on watch in an open cockpit...that I wondered what was I doing here? Certainly not for fame or fortune.
It really was a journey of self discovery. Why did Banwari man or his descendant the Caribs and Arawaks venture far out from land in open canoes. Don't really know the proper answer except to say because it was there to be done. Will I do it again? Maybe another ocean. Right now all I can think about is being back with my family including time with my grandkids. I missed my dog and my flower plants.
Not sure how long that will last before my  wanderlust returns.

2 comments:

  1. Well said Len I agree with you I have known Reggie from primary school and he as taught me a lot about the sea and sailing and safety at sea and I have said before there are only two people that I would get on a boat with and that is Reggie and my brother Greg in that order. I know what it is like to be wet all day and night I think that I have slept in water many times on our voyage with Abduction and Nicole and Martin could not ask for better friends and crew to sail with but all made a voyage of a lifetime .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go boss. From some UK Trinis

    ReplyDelete